Hi guys! My name is Rachael and I’m a 26 year old Ph.D. student living and working in Albany, New York! Even though I don’t have any professional culinary experience, I have had an enormous passion for cooking and eating my whole life. I credit my amazing family for my “I’ll try anything once” mentality, and I’m not afraid to get creative in the kitchen, regardless of the result! Although I’m not a nutritionist, my undergraduate degree was in biology (yeah University of Richmond – Go Spiders!), and I have an MPH in chronic disease epidemiology so I know a lot about eating healthy and staying active. I currently work for the state diabetes program, and am pursuing a Ph.D. in epidemiology – which has nothing to do with skin in case you were wondering! In my spare time, I love hanging out with my amazing friends, traveling to new and exciting places, and just living a healthy, balanced life! I hope you’ll join me as I document my culinary, fitness, and other fun endeavors along the way…welcome to Eat, Exercise & Explore!
25 Things You Didn’t Know…About Me!
1. I think apples with peanut butter may be the greatest thing in the world. If I was on a desert island and could only have one thing…this would be it. I might ask for a pack of orbit chewing gum as well – as we all know, I have a serious gum addiction.
2. My number one goal in life is to own my own horse some day – and I want to name him Oliver. Forget being a cat lady – if i could have a stable of horses my life would be complete.
3. After I finish my PhD, I’m moving to San Diego. I’ve seen enough of the East Coast for now…and San Diego is my happy place – it’s perfect all year round.
4. I hate flying but I do it anyways because I love traveling to new places.
5. I have a MAJOR phobia of being alone for more than 24hrs. I need constant social interaction or I go insane.
6. I love running. Love it. It’s the best stress release there is! Now I just need a big dog that I can take on runs with me!
7. Listening to country music always makes me happy, especially if it’s Rascal Flatts.
8. I like watching sports as much as guys do – especially the Yankees. I could watch every game they play. I don’t care if they are corrupt, I love them.
9. My mommy is my best friend =)
10. Sometimes I wish I could go to school forever – other times I wish I could quit tomorrow. And I definitely still want to go to culinary school someday!
11. I want to eventually live in a city where I can walk everywhere and never have to drive my car again.
12. I’m on team Britney.
13. I’ve played the oboe, baritone, flute and saxophone in band but I still suck at playing Rockband
14. I am sometimes embarrassed to tell people abroad that I’m from the U.S..
15. I have the guiltiest conscience ever. If I gossip about someone or fight with anyone, I instantly feel really bad and hate myself for it after…this usually ends with me crying and apologizing immediately. My mom can tell you all about it.
16. I love snow on Christmas - and that’s it.
17. I think the guy who plays Sawyer on LOST is the world’s most attractive man.
18. I am a huge nerd. Science nerd. History nerd. Computer nerd…100% nerd all around. I mean, I dream of being a contestant on Jeopardy. How nerd-tastic is that.
19. I love cooking and fashion and experimenting with both.
20. I have wanted to be an astronaut, an archaeologist, a doctor, a horse trainer, and an interior decorator in the past. It wasnt until grad school that I realized public health was the career for me – but I’d still be any one of these things if I could. Except maybe a doctor – I cant handle blood and guts like I used to.
21. If I had all the money in the world I’d visit a new place every weekend until I’d been everywhere in the world.
22. I prefer Starbucks a million times to Dunkin Donuts. I could spend all day just sitting drinking coffee, listening to music and reading.
23. Sometimes I wish Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry was a real place – because I’d soooo apply there. I would much rather sit through Defense Against the Dark Arts than Biostatistics.
24. I’m still jealous that my brother is tall and I’m not. Being IDed at rated-R movies and offered the children’s menu at restaraunts is getting old believe it or not!
25. My friends and family are my life. They are amazing and I love them! =)
Disclaimer: I’m not a Registered Dietitian (RD). For specific medical counseling or advice, please contact an RD or your doctor. Everything on this blog reflects my own personal opinions and feelings!